Tuesday, December 11, 2007

public domain/staying true

I was listening to the Doo Dirty Show today. Shout out to DJ www.ddirtyshow.podomatic.com over there in NY. I haven’t blogged in a while and his show today got me to break my silence…temporarily. It really got me to thinking.

One thing I can respect about this kat is that he gives it raw and unfiltered. After a very dramatic interview, he started talking about the downside of being in the public eye. I mean he really broke it down. Prior to today I never considered myself public domain. When I started this writing years ago it was just for enjoyment. My blog was an online diary. I never expected anyone to read it. When people started reading, leaving comments, and connecting me to my books I couldn’t believe that my ordinary life could have an impact on anyone else. But I’ve realized is that its just that…my ordinary world isn’t always ordinary. The things I go through and how I deal with them is what impacts others.

So, my blogs became more personal and I teetered on the fence of telling all my business and not telling anything at all. I felt I was doing the readers an injustice by not sharing things from my personal life but was scared to put it all out there. I’ve always been a very private person but blogging seemed harmless because I was posting things to an online world of people I didn’t know and would never see. WRONG. I also realized is that our community is so small. To hell with 6 degrees of separation in this small world it’s more like one or two.

What started as innocent expression turned into recognition. However with recognition comes all the drama DJ talked about. People gossiping, lying, and trying to bring you down just because. It seemed like the more attention I got the more people started disliking me. The same ones that claimed I was so nice were some of the same ones spreading lies about me in secret. But as a man I ignored it and continued to go on with my life and not get caught up in chaos because that’s just not me. I’ve seen all types in the past few years from kind hearted artists who don’t mind lifting up others and sharing their expertise. Then I’ve seen the catty ass fake fabulous types who live for the spotlight and will do anything to get there. I’ve seen people changing like the weather.

But back to my point…is this what being public domain is? Do success and a little recognition rob you of the innocence of creativity? I started this thing with pure intentions and with that intent I’ll remain. And before I let the same thing happen to me that I’ve seen happen to quite a few of my brothers in the game I’ll bow out. Staying true to you is better than the hype. So to those who have asked why they haven’t seen me around as much online, why I am not in many of the well known circles, and why I’m not promoting or touring as much as other people…I’m staying true to myself.

11 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger THE PISCEAN said...

Stay true to who you are Sir Dayne.
People are going to talk. Jealousy is such an ugly thing.

It's a pleasure just knowing you and appreciating the work that you do.

Happy Holidays to you and look forward to greater works coming from you.

Peace and Blessing

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger D.LavarJames said...

Man, it's like that wherever you are in life, people seem to always want to flock and make sure that you are doing worse then they are, but let some good shyt happen, then they ready to hate and take.

I started blogging for the same reasons, just to get some thoughts out, but at the same time run into things about others that I'm like WTF?

I hope things will get better, and you do seem like a really good person, forget the hatin ass folks that want to bring you down.

Have a safe and productive Holiday!

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Valentino said...

Yezzir!!!! Dayne is the Mayne !!!!! Anyways, we know work speaks for itself..you don't have stand in noone's face to sell a great product. :-D

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Cocoa Rican said...

You're absolutely right. People love the underdog and unfortunately, with popularity you lose your underdog status. That said, I've been told not to tell so much about myself or been criticized for one thing or another...in the end, I'm real...with myself, with my blogger fam and with folks in general. Life's too short for me to worry what the haters say and I'm living a wonderful life...
I've always been impressed by your journey (young as you are and all) and feel that it's worth praising and giving accolades to. So, for the record, keep your head up; don't hide from those who are interested and touched by you and know that regardless of the buzz, you're still the D we look to hear from. :)
Keep passin' the open windows...

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger bLaQ~n~MiLD said...

Interesting... My life is hardly interesting so I don't have to worry about "fame" or being in the public eye. You know what Dayne, you have a gift my dude. Something that not many have and simularly no one can take away. As you have stated "To thine own self be true." Stay you, stay cute, stay True!

~Damnit!

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Sean Stone said...

Dayne, you're maintaining your integrity. I was just talking about this to a friend of mine. If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Kensilo said...

Hey Dayne,

I listen to DJ everyday also @ work and what he says is always on point. Do what you do to stay true to your self. Do not allow people to drain and takeaway the gift of creativity that God have given you. Keep your head up and keep marching on. Dont even worry about the haters.

lata

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger SpecialK261 said...

i feel u definitely...the world and "life" is not all or is actually a bit too much than it's caught up to be...

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger yet another black guy said...

F a hater! on the real, people have been speaking dirty on others since hieroglyphics started. it will bother you, but don't let it stop you from reaching your goal.

for every 1 person hating, there are 10 that love. sometimes the love is quiet, but please believe it's there. STAY UP BROTHA!

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Promiscuous X said...

Hey Dayne...Like I say these whose cant do shit for you...people talk you know what you do and thats all that matters....Every man for themsleves...miss you man ...come back to us...

ya boy x

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Dr. Chuck Williams said...

It's hard to stay "true," given the hype that surrounds young, gifted persons such as yourself. However, if you do figure out a way to do that, you will have won the race before you even start...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home